Friday, July 31, 2015

Barbarian

Barbarian Character project

The day has come. I put in the final touches on the Barbarian character project this morning. Fixing and color correcting various texture maps. I am happy to share with people the final result! The entire process took about 3 weeks on and off. 


The project started with Caio's amazing concept painting of a bad ass barbarian warrior. I then dissected the painting and figured out how to address the different parts of the character so I don't overwhelm myself. There are parts that can be mirrored and duplicated. The bones are a good example. I modeled 6 bones with general diverse shape, then further detailed it in Zbrush. 

The hardest part of this project is to bring about the feeling of flowing fur in 3D. Hair and fur are never easy in the 3D world, especially for gaming. Before Nvidia hairworks, people usually rely on polygon planes with transparency(which is what I did for this character, but added normal map and flow map on top to simulate anistropic specularity.) and dynamic rigged meshes. 

I got through the whole project without any particular difficulty. With every attempt at something, I always want to learn something new or do something better. With this project, I feel that I learnt to go through the workflow quicker and ended with expected results, which is good for things that might take several iterations.

Here are some more images and sketchfab link:














No comments:

Post a Comment

Addtoany